Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate about 8 Lindor dark chocolate Truffles less than…

Customer Question
My dog ate about 8...
My dog ate about 8 Lindor dark chocolate Truffles less than 1 & 1/2 hours ago. He is a 10 pound yorkie and he isn't exhibiting and signs of sickness. I read the package and three of these chocolates weighs 36 grams. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

It is very encouraging that no severe side effects have occurred so far, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your Yorkie very much, he may perhaps experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and/ or diarrhoea, but I would not expect worse than that, certainly no question of severe toxicity. The total amount of dark truffles he swallowed was 96g = 3.38 ounces. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 10 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 3 ozs of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. However, this type product is not likely to be 100% pure dark chocolate, there will be a range of other ingredients in the filling and that is going to be very much in your favour. All you need do for now is just to keep an eye on your dog, the chances are he will be just fine, or perhaps just suffer very minor side effects. At worst this was just a very minor overdose.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any severe symptoms appear, but this would be unlikely.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your Yorkie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Lindor Truffles issue...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott