Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a very red anus and appears to Be having

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a very red anus and appears to Be having difficulty passing feaces. Is there anything we can give him to help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

He’s having problems with his bowel motions

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

It doesnt appear to be worrying him, but it looks red and inflamed

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

My daughter said he has an open wound which he is licking

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog bleeding a lot?

Not bleeding at all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he been straining?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, etc)?

Can you take a photo of his anus so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian