Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis a week ago on

Hello, my dog was...

Hello, my dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis a week ago on Wednesday. He was given fluids, an antibiotic, pain pills (which he would not take- he had tramadol & I couldn’t get them into him- I called my vet & left a message- they never called back so I assumed it was okay) as he was also on an anti nausea medication which I read helps with pain & inflamation as well & he would take that. He also is on a low fat prescription food. He’s still on that but finished all his meds up a couple days ago. He is doing better as far as eating and drinking goes. He definitely has an appetite. He is not vomiting anymore at all. He does sometimes (not all the time) seek to still be in a bit of pain. I’m not sure what exactly to be looking for & my vet has been closed for the holiday. I would love to give him some of his pain meds I was prescribed, but if he tastes it- he immediately spits it up and vomits (I read this pill is very bitter) I have a bit of the anti nausea med left- if that is helpful, I’ll give it to him but I want to be sure I’m helping him the best I can. As I mentioned, he is great sometimes- playful & running around. Then other times he just wants to lay down & rest much more than normal.

12/24/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you

What is the name of the pain med and the antacid?

Paul

The pain medication that was prescribed was Tramadol. My dog will absolutely not take it. I’ve tried everything - but I assume since I have to chop his pill to give him the correct amount he tastes how bitter it is & he immediately spits it out/throws it up.His anti nausea pill is Cerenia. He still has some left even though he is technically all done taking it. He’s definitely not throwing up or having a loss of appetite or anything- but I thought I read that it has anti inflammatory properties- so I’m not sure if this will ease any pain for him.I also am just guessing that he’s in some pain based on his behavior. He will jump and play sometimes & othetimes he just kind of sits there like he wants to jump and play. He definitely seems better than a few days ago for sure, but my vet didn’t give me much info as far as following up - ie: how long he should be on his prescription Food (I have refills available to me until June) and when/if I needed to be seen again. She just said she’d call to check in - but she hasn’t (& that I should call if he was vomiting- but he hasn’t). I just want to make sure I don’t miss something in his recovery.

Great info!

NO doubt you have tried putting the Tramadol in peanut butter or a bit of cheese?

IF yes then we can try Tylenol- how heavy is he?

Paul

I’ve tried even (though I know this isn’t good given his diagnosis) been to McDonald’s and stuffed the pill in a French fry. I “dropped” the fry & still he immediately spat it out. When I tried to ball it up & put it down his throat- he immediately threw up (this had happened every time) so I know it’s because of the pill and not the pancreatitis.He’s supposed to be “off” his pain medicine by now, but I’m assuming because he wouldn’t take it that he may still need some?
He is 6 lbs

I think that the fight is not worth it

Lets give him a rest from the Tramadol

Why dont we try something like Pepcid AC at 1.0 mg/kg twice daily. This is an antacid and will maybe settle the stomach

Paul

I’m not sure that his stomach is bothering him. He definitely has a regular appetite! That doesn’t seem to be an issue at all. Just seems that he might be sore in the abdomen.I do have some anti nausea pills left (cerenia) if you think that would be more beneficial?

Tell you what- lets just let him alone for tonight

Dont give anything

Sometimes just backing off and letting them alone works wonders

Lets revisit this in the morning

Okay?

Paul

Okay. That seems fair.Should I be super concerned? Or is this normal for him to continue to act this way for a little while? My vet only told me to call if he was vomiting, so I am not really sure what to expect of his behavior/when he should be back to his normal self.He was diagnosed a week ago Wednesday & finished up his antibiotic a couple of days ago.

It can take a while sometimes for these pancreatitis patients to get back to full strength

And oral antibiotics can really upset the system also

Paul

Okay, thanks. I just keep reading how serious it is it untreated. Which obviously he was treated, just unsure how to know it worked I guess! With them being closed he next few days and him seeming a bit under the weather tonight, I was a bit worried. I’ll let him rest & see how he feels tomorrow!

Did they ultrasound him?

Not sure why the antibiotics.

Paul

No ultrasound. They did the blood test for pancreatitis. I’m not sure why the antibiotics either. Said it would help “support” him?Prescription food (never even told me how much to feed- looked that up on my own & didn’t tell me for how long) so I honestly have no idea.Did fluids under the skin. Sent home with the meds (antibiotic, pain- which he wouldn’t take, anti nausea & probiotic - also wouldn’t take. It was a powder to mix in his food- he wouldn’t eat when I put it in there) From what I read- controlling the vomiting, the fluids and the prescription food seemed to be the most important.

I just dont get vets sometimes

Cant prescribe antibiotics unless you confirm necrotizing pancreatitis with ultrasound

Otherwise you risk upsetting their stomachs

Not sure your vet is aggressive enough

But we can chat about that in the AM LOL

Get some sleep

You can rate me now and I will leave the link open so you can update me through the holidays without any more costs

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

You are very welcome

he did awesome yesterday! Didn’t seem in pain at all. This morning, he was doing great- but he just threw up his breakfast. I’m doubtful that it was a coincidence- but perhaps it was. When he was throwing originally- it was like a yellow foamy substance. This was definitely his food. Maybe he ate too fast? Too excited from new toys? Not really sure...but My guess is that I should take him back to the vet tomorrow? Unfortunately nothing is open today.I have some anti nausea meds I can give him again in the meantime, but his spirits are definitely good. He seems a lot better / not in pain like the other day & just attempted to drink my coffee (definitely has an appetite)Any advice would be appreciated!

I would not panic just yet

Sometimes we let these little one go back to regular routine too fast

Give the anti-nausea meds and dont feed till tonight

BUT update me prior to that

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far so good.
Since I only just saw your message- he did eat last night. But I fed him very little (half of what I have been- as the vet never told me how much to feed him) & he kept that down (& was super happy to eat!) I waited about 8 hours from the time he vomited to offer him any food.He seems to be in good spirits again today! He ate a little bit this morning & a little bit tonight. (No anti nausea meds)How much should I be feeding him of his prescription food- and for how long?Is there a long term Food you recommend for him? (he is a 6 lb Yorkie)And should I switch soon from the prescription food or should I keep on that for a while? (I have availability to access this food until June- not sure if I’m supposed to though?)He was eating Fromm dog food prior to his diagnosis. I know I should be watching his fat intake, but unsure if there is anything specific he should have!?

Hi again

I would stay with the low fat prescription diet long term

We dont want to upset that pancreas :)

There should be feeding directions on the bag- but be careful they always tell you to feed a little more then they need

Glad he is doing better

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay! So just ask my doctor to keep up the prescription? He’s on the wet food right now- should I switch to the dry? There were not any instructions on the wet food- I looked it up online for what normal feeding amounts are.He’s on the Royal Canin gastrointestinal low fat food.If he does vomit again- should I just limit food intake first and see if that helps?He seems really good right now, but I have noticed (and this happened a lot before he was diagnosed as well) that he burps/seems to have almost like acid reflux sometimes. Is that normal for dogs with an angry pancreas? Should I be watching for that too- or just actual vomit?Thanks for being so helpful!

I would feed him small meals three or fours times a day

Stick with that special diet

Lets see how he does with that

Update me if he vomits :)

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

Very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello again! So it’s been days & Oliver has been acting like his old self. Then this morning after he ate (still on his prescription food) he started shaking & hiding like he was doing after he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. He hasn’t thrown up but seems very uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do for him?

Hi there

I am okay with you giving him a one time dosage of Tylenol at 15.0 mg/kg

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s 6 lbs - so that’s an okay amount? Should it be children’s liquid?If that doesn’t help- do I bring him to the vet? & at what point? Is it normal for bouts of this to happen? Yesterday- he was absolutely fine!
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian