Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Came home let her in the house and she is screeching (not…

Customer Question
Came home let her...

Came home let her in the house and she is screeching (not the excitement kind) she will lay down and be calm for a bit then start screeching and whining again....I’m worried there is something internal going on? We checked her over for some type of outer wound like a cut but all of that seems fine...it’s late at night here and idk when we willl be able to take her to a vet. I’m hoping she is just stressed or frazzled and it’s not a serious internal issue. I’m not sure and I’m worried so is there anything I can do to make her comfortable?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Anytime we go to touch or pet her she screeches and whines like she is in pain but then she lets us pet or touch her. She also didn’t want to jump onto the bed which she always does as soon as she comes into the room. She also was slower coming up the stairs. She is a mini Aussie 2 years old our vet said at some point she could have the back knee cap issues. She is being very cuddly and loving but still not fully herself. She also seems tired. Our friend brought his dog over to stay and it’s been 2 days since his dog has been here but we watch his dog a lot and both dogs are used to each other. His dog is very hyper active compared to our dog, she is more calm and relaxed easy going. So I’m not sure if it could be stress from having the other dog around? The other dog is fixed and our dog is spayed so I know it is not that type of problem. I’m just worried because she has never acted like this before.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

Rather than her patellas (knee caps) I would be concerned about her back being painful such as seen with degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Supportive evidence of a disk includes ataxia ("drunken sailor"), shaking/trembling (pain responses), difficulty jumping up or down or navigating steps, a change in posture - holding the neck rigidly and head lower to the ground or a "hunch" in the back, vocalizing when lifted or approached, and a change in behavior such as a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy" or, conversely, a normally social dog becoming reclusive.

Her vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to your dog's spine. Areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggest a disk. If found, conservative therapy involves a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. Keeping your dog as quiet as possible at this time can avoid her hurting herself further. Most dogs will remiss from a simple disk within 3 weeks. If paresis (weakness) or paralysis arises, she would need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Those patients may be surgical candidates for spinal decompression.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian