Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old cockerspanial has had an infection in one ear…

Customer Question
My 12 year old...

My 12 year old cockerspanial has had an infection in one ear or the other for at least 3 years. I've tried everything but nothing works. The smell is so horrible we can hardly stand him. Can you help me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Copper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Copper?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When was the last time Copper was on ear medications?

We have used otc and something we ordered on line but it's been a couple of months. His ear is so raw he won't let me try to clean it.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has Copper ever been on antibiotics for his ear infection ? Cocker spaniels are unfortunately prone to ear infections. Common cause for ear infections can include some type of allergy that he is suffering from

Copper was seen numerous times by our only vet here in the area. She did a pretty thorough allergy test which didn't show anything worthwhile, plus meds that didn't help . That was at least a year ago.