Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs eye for scratched with a fight from another dog in…

Customer Question
My dogs eye for...

My dogs eye for scratched with a fight from another dog in house he seems quite miserable anything I can do before morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo is a carbon about 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gizmo a cavachon 5 yrs old he is keeping his eye closed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No he just got too close to our other dog and their treats

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am going to be taking a dinner break but will return to see if you have responded with additional questions momentarily

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Gizmo to see if the eye is doing any better with my suggestions? I look forward to an update

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian