Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6lb Yorkshire terriers that’s prone to pancreatitis…

I have a 6lb...

I have a 6lb Yorkshire terriers that’s prone to pancreatitis ( has had multiple episodes.). He is kept on a strict low fat gastrointestinal diet and never gets any other food. Unfortunately he just got into a chocolate chip cookie. He had about 3 small mouthfuls before I realized what he was doing and pulled it away from him. Not sure what I should do. This happened about 15-20 minutes ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Tsar, 11 years old

12/24/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Ok. Thank you.

This is a difficult situation, with this history and the fact that three mouthfuls were ingested does put him at risk for a repeat bout and I would hate for you to end up at the er this weekend so I would consider inducing vomiting to remove the risk of the fat in the cookie causing a recurrence

You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (ie 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting then please monitor for symptoms of gi upset associated with the ingestion for 24-48 hours such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite. I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion regardless but I definitely understand your fears and would be proactive with Tsar.

If no vomiting of the cookie then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Ok. Thank you. I will try the hydrogen peroxide and monitor for any upset tummy signs. Happy Holidays

You as well, fingers crossed there are no issues with this ingestion!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian