Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 8 year old Pomapoo that has been diagnosed with…

Customer Question
I have an 8...

I have an 8 year old Pomapoo that has been diagnosed with diabetes, Cushing's Disease and bronchial congestion (what my Vet calls 'doggie COPD). She gets two injections of vfestulin daily after her meal. IT ranges between 5-7 units each injection depending on the test strip color on first morning urine. Additionally she is taking 20MG of Vetoryl (trilostane) per day. 10 MG after each meal. Finally - to treat the cough and bronchial issue she is no taking Tussigon (2.5 mg) once a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

My question is this seems like a lot of medication and while there haven't been any obvious adverse drug interaction issues I'm concerned about the long term effects. Especially given Tussigon is an opioid. Any thoughts about the treatment or any changes recommended? FYI: based on the last blood glucose test and the ACTH test (approx. 3 months ago) the vet said that both the diabetes and the Cushing's seem to be 'controlled'

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She weighs approx. 16 lbs and has the 'pot belly' and fatty ring around her neck that I understand are common in Cushinoid dogs. She has a dry hacking cough in the morning and when she has a lo of exertion. Think that covers it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

Just like elderly people, some old dogs will develop health issues that cannot be cured and those dogs do need to be on a range of medication to manage those diseases. Given your lass's clinical history, the treatments she is on are all reasonable and the same I would use for a patient in this position.

And I would say that its important to understand that given that there is no cure for these diseases, her medication is necessary for her to live comfortably. The Vetoryl is needed to keep her adrenal gland in check, otherwise it would produce too much stress hormone (steroids) and worsen both her Cushing's and her diabetes. Furthermore, if she is stable with her Cushing's disease but is still diabetic (some will resolve, some will need less insulin, but many will remain diabetic and need treating) then her insulin is a must to prevent wasting, excessive thirst/urination, and diabetic ketoacidosis. Finally, her bronchial changes will be age related and not something that can be cured. So, the Tussigon is actually a mild treatment with little risk. Unlike steroids (sometimes necessary for COPD type cases), it carries little long term risk and the only concern would be if she was sensitive to it (usually see as sedation, constipation and vomiting). So, her treatment is all appropriate here and just what we'd use. The risk of long term issues is low and even so the benefit well outweighs that for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian