Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Bright red bloody spots in her poop. Serendipity 8 year old…

Customer Question
Bright red bloody spots...

Bright red bloody spots in her poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Serendipity 8 year old cockerspaniel weighs 34 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Seredipity is dogs name

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Serendipity. You've described hematochezia - blood from the anus with or without feces. Her will need to consider quite a few possible etiologies for the bleeding. They include anal sac gland impaction, sacculitis, or abscess; neoplasia - perianal adenomas are the most common of the benign tumors while the most common malignant umors is the anal sac adenocarcinoma; anal stricture (uncommon - more often found in middle-aged to older males); trauma - e.g., passing a foreign body in the stool; proctitis; colitis - idiopathic (unknown cause), food allergy, infectious (bacterial, parasitic); and a coagulation disorder (not a common cause of hematochezia).

Over what period of time have you noticed hematochezia, please? Are there any other signs?

Two days dog is very grouchy

I can imagine. Regretfully, this isn't something you can address at home until the cause is clarified. You can soften Serendipidy's stool, however, with over the counter docusate sodium (e.g., Colace) dosed at 100 mg once daily. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian