Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is itching a lot now that cold weather is here. I am…

Customer Question
She is itching a...

She is itching a lot now that cold weather is here. I am giving her phytoplankton buts it's not enough. What else can u do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Stella 3 yrs German shepherd

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I would just note that if Stella is particularly itchy in the cooler seasons this can be associated with drying of the skin from our heaters but also household allergens (ie laundry soap, carpet powder, storage/dust mites, etc). Therefore, if her current treatment isn't enough you could consider an OTC antihistamine for her. Most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) or Cetirizine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cetirizine-(zyrtec-)). These can be used every 12 hours and we like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. And it can also help to support skin health with essential fatty acids (EFAs) here. They are similar to the phytoplankton in function but can be used alongside it. To supplement with EFAs, you can use fish oil (Omega3 & 6) at a dose equal to 20mg per pound of body weight. Or if your wee one likes fish, you can provide these fish oils via offering a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. As well, there are also OTC preparations you can get at your vets, pet stores, and online (ie Viacutin or Yumega) that would be of benefit too. Of course, if Stella's signs are severe, then allergy testing may be considered with a view to immunotherapy to get her immune system settled and reduce this irritation for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you. I will try these suggestions. One more question. You mentioned fresh salmon. Should I cook it before feeding it to Stella?

You are very welcome, my dear.

Yes, we can use fresh salmon but we do want to cook it (else there'd be risk of worms).

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.