Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate fudge. She is about 75 pounds and ate maybe…

Customer Question
My dog just ate...

My dog just ate fudge. She is about 75 pounds and ate maybe about 6-8oz square

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Skye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?

No. Healthy otherwise

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Did the fudge have any chocolate content?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not sure how much. It was store bought, but homemade from the stores center.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well, the great thing here is that Skye is a larger dog, even with some chocolate content there should be concerns about actual toxicity, although your dog may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhea purely because of swallowing such an amount of rich unaccustomed " human " food.

2. Given the above, on balance, it would be better just to observe her for now rather than inducing vomiting because it is possible that this incident may not affect her that much. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Skye's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian