Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 pound Schnoodle puppy might have eaten a piece of

Customer Question
My 3 pound Schnoodle...

My 3 pound Schnoodle puppy might have eaten a piece of brownie. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Abby

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Do you have an idea of how much Abby might have ingested? An ounce for example?

Depending on how much of the brownie was ingested, you may see mild to moderate symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If she ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then your dog should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days (ie 1/8 of a 10 mg tablet)
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes (even if laps around the house)
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Abby to see if there were any ill effects from the brownie? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian