Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua ate the Previcox dosage intended for my golden…

My chihuahua ate the...

My chihuahua ate the Previcox dosage intended for my golden retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ricky is his name and he is between 8 and 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ricky?

Other than his age and arthritis, he is in good health

12/22/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

How much does Ricky weigh?

approximately 10 to 15 lbs.
Other than his age and arthritis, he is in fairly good health

This is what I would do.

Give him a large meal right now so he has food in his stomach to buffer and help absorb the extra dose of previcox.

Also, start him on 1/4 of a 10 mg Pepcid AC tablet every 12 hours until Monday.

That is an over the counter human stomach acid reducer.

The biggest concern from the extra dose would be gastrointestinal upset.

The Pepcid Ac will reduce stomach acid which hopefully will protect his stomach lining.

Is he going to be okay?

Over the next 48 hours he may have vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, and gas.

He may not have any signs or symptoms at all.

Signs he should see a vet are:

Not eating for 24 hours

Not drinking or unable to keep water down for 12 hours

Blood in the vomit or stool

Pale, purple, or abnormal gum color

Severe lethargy where he will not get up and walk around

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
You have been very helpful, thank you!

You are welcome. Normally if they just eat one tablet that is a higher dose than they would normally take it will be okay. If they eat multiple tablets, or the whole bottle, there is trouble.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian