Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5mo old yorkie this is an odd question his penis…

Customer Question
I have a 5mo...

I have a 5mo old yorkie this is an odd question his penis wont retract all the way and his sheath looks like its folded in and i had to have him put under once so far when his penis didnt retract at all and the vet said to wait until he is a year old before he would do surgery on him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

I already sent a message

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

His penis wont retract all the way his sheath seems to be folded in and once already i had to put him under because his penis didnt retract at all .alittle bit of it is always sticking out and he dont like us fooling with it. my vet said to wait until he is a year old before he will do surgery. he is 5mo old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

It does seem painful as he dont like us trying to put it back in. his sheath is folded in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Garrnet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Garrnet?

No not that i can think of he is very active and is a training class right now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

Do you know about how long Garrnet's penis has been stuck? Is it something you might be able to upload a picture of? Usually you can attach a pic by clicking on the paperclip icon on the chat-

If you think it is getting close to 24 hours or more that his penis has been exposed, that would be considered an emergency where it could require surgery/amputation of the penis. Some things you could try at home to get the tissue covered (but often they are not as cooperative with mom/dad compared at home compared to what we can do in the vet's office):

1. First, thoroughly clean the exposed penis and inspect it for any foreign material such as foxtails or long fur that might be “strangulating” the tissues of the penis.
  2. Mix up a “sugar paste” using ordinary white sugar and enough water to make it into a thick slurry. Apply this mixture liberally to the extruded penis. The sugar works as a hyperosmotic agent, “pulling out” fluid from the tissues to help to reduce the swelling and shrink the penis.
  3. Wrap up a bag of frozen peas in a light towel and place over the area for 5 minutes at a time, which also helps to reduce swelling of the tissues. Packaged peas work well because they are very moldable around the dog’s anatomy.
  4. Lubricants, such as K-Y jelly, should then be applied. Lubrication helps aid in returning the penis back into the sheath.
  5. If the swelling does not resolve within 30 minutes, and if the penis does not stay retracted into the sheath/prepuce despite the interventions above, then immediate veterinary assistance should be sought.
Thank you. Please cancel further charges.