Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well she ate about 6 - 8 chocolat covered cherries tonight…

Customer Question
Well she ate about...

Well she ate about 6 - 8 chocolat covered cherries tonight covered in milk choclate, I know chocolate is not very good for dogs, she weighs 68 lbs and a lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Haylee and she is 2 and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Haylee?

She is a chow hound and eats everything she gets her mouth on if she is going to get sick what should I look for

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat about your dog?

I would like to chat I don't think she will get sick but I would like to know what to look for if she does

I am so glad you are here. That amount of chocolate should not be toxic for a dog her side. We worry about heart rate and rhythm problems at higher doses. I do not think you need to induce vomiting or anything like that.

It is possible that she may experience some stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea from it.

You can always give her some pepcid AC to try and settle her stomach to prevent stomach upset. Or just feed her a normal meal so that the chocolate is not just sitting in her stomach.

it was milk chocolate not dark or bakers, well she deserves an upset tummy for doing something she is not supposed to

A pepcid AC dose for her would be 10 mg twice a day.

Yes she does. I hope you were able to enjoy some of the chocolate cake before she got to it. :)

no I was bringing them home from work for my husband, and he was not happy he did not even get one

not chocolate cake, my mistake. I guess you can see what's on my mind! lol. chocolate covered cherries

I'm sorry to hear that. I doubt she will have any serious problems from this. Just an angry mommy and daddy for the night.

when should I do the Pepcid if I notice diahrea

If you notice her appetite goes down at all, or she is drooling more than normal, then I would start the pepcid.

thank you I appreciate this, she is our baby, and her dad loves her, we got her after loosing our hound dogs she she is a little spoiled have a great Christmas, this makes me feel better, dad is scolding her

I completely understand. You are very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!

Happy holidays!

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian