Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate some trail mix and we are trying to figure out if…

Customer Question
Hi - my dog...

Hi - my dog ate some trail mix and we are trying to figure out if its toxic for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

It was trail mix - contained m&ms, raisins, and various nuts probably a half a cup

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Nope just that they are acting fine now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome! I am Dr. Christina, a licensed veterinarian, here to help answer your questions today. I see that you are inquiring about your dog eating trail mix, is that correct? Do you know what ingredients were in there? Mostly I am concerned about raisins and chocolate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there were definitely raisins and milk chocolate m&ms in there

Raisins can be very toxic to the kidneys. It only takes one raisin. Do you have hydrogen peroxide at your house to induce vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i do!
How do we make them drink it.

That's the tricky part. If you do not have a syringe, you will have to have one person hold them and pour some of it in their throat.

The dose is 2 tablespoons per 10 pounds.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay - got it!

If they do not vomit, I would take them to your vet or an ER vet to get them to vomit. If they vomit it up, then there should be no problems. Otherwise, we recommend 48 hours of IV fluids to protect the kidneys from any damage. We worry and are so proactive because once there is damage to the kidneys we cannot reverse it.

That was meant to say - "if they do NOT vomit, take them to the vet"

It can take 10-15 minutes before they vomit?

Were you successful in getting them to vomit?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian