Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was spayed 1 week ago. She was not eating very well…

Customer Question
Hi, my dog was...

Hi, my dog was spayed 1 week ago. She was not eating very well the following days, only a little bit. Drank water. However since 2 days now, she is not eating at all! She gets nauseous if I put it next to her and she would just throw up. She is not active or playful like she used to be.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, the normal food like we used to give her before

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Foxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Foxy?

Not really. I guess what I would say would be that she always had a fragile stomach, eg. Got car sick or sea sick easily

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Is she still on any pain medications?

I need to recommend that we let your veterinarian know what is going on and make sure this not a complication of her surgery. Spaying a dog is a major abdominal procedure and we can sometimes have complications, just like in human medicine.

I would recommend getting her seen so we can get an injection of anti-nausea medication on board at the very least and possibly recheck some blood work and get some imaging done on her abdomen to try and figure out what is going on. With the Holiday right around the corner, it would be best to get her seen today if you are able to.

I can get you a prilosec dose for her to try, but getting it down her and getting her to keep it down may not happen.

Prilosec is dosed at 0.5 mg per pound once a day and can help control nausea if we can get her to keep it down. So if she is 10 pounds her dose would be 5 mg for example.

You can also try and get some warmed chicken broth down her with an eye dropper or syringe to try and keep her hydrated, but I do think the best recommendation I can make is to get her seen today if possible so she does not get worse.

Good luck with Foxy. Let me know how she does.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian