Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He swalloed a rubber ball the fetch it was flavored like…

Customer Question
He swalloed a rubber...

He swalloed a rubber ball the fetch it was flavored like bacon there really squishy he seems fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Morrison 7 months lab mix he is a rescue

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
i think it was one of those chuck-it balls that you thorow with a stick he stole the ball and then chewed it for a while but then swalloed whole
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns with Morrison.

The best advice I can give you is to see your veterinarian now. If it has only been an hour or so, inducing vomiting with apomorphine might bring the ball up. Otherwise, I would want to follow the progression of the ball with x-rays. The reason not to wait to see what happens is that the ball may break into pieces from the stomach acid, & then you can have multiple potentials for blockages to occur. But if the ball remains intact, & it lodges whole in the intestines, it can produce pressure necrosis that can rupture the gut & cause peritonitis.

So, it is best to check things out before we get into this holiday weekend.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.