Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is a 10 year old Carin Terrier who two months ago

Customer Question
She is a 10...

She is a 10 year old Carin Terrier who two months ago battled bladder stones. The Vet cleared them up with diet. Recently her sinuses have clogged up like she has a cold. I did the saline and steam. Mucus was thick and blood tinged a little. Today that seems better. Still clogged a bit but not, "rattling" and she's breathing through her nose. I know she has cataracts but this morning she appears to be almost blind and can't see much of anything. Yesterday when I threw her stick she chased it and brought it back, today she couldn't see the stick and even tripped over it. Her eyes seem more milky too. Still eating well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Annie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?

She also just had a rabies shot, bordetella (oral) and she is on a special Science Diet C/D.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Annie. I have two main concerns in such a patient. The first is that her "milky" eyes indicate either cornea edema such as would be seen with glaucoma (increased intraocular pressure/perhaps cataractous lens-induced) or a uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) which can shower red and white blood cells into the anterior chamber (the space between the back of her cornea and in front of the iris) and cloud that chamber. Because her sinuses/nose have been problematic,infection or neoplasia may have found their way from the nose into her eyes.

The second is that her upper respiratory disorder is just one sign of a systemic infection or neoplasia and both infection and neoplasia can spread/metastasize to the eyes. Annie needs to see her vet at your earliest convenience if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this treatable? Trying to get her in to see the doctor now.

We'll need to clarify the etiology before being able to answer that question. I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very happy with the fast answer to my question and the helpful answer.

Thank you for your kind words.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took Annie to her vet. This is what he found.
Her BP is normal. No fever
lungs are clear. No stroke or other problems with her eyes. The problem is in her sinuses. Her eyes do not have cataracts and upon examination are normal except for the fact she can't see. He doesn't seem to know why except its connected to the sinus infection. He has her on Enrofloxacin and Hydroxyzine and will call me Monday to see how she is doing. After a bit of a wrestle to get her meds down she ate very well. I'm confident the meds will take care of the infection but I still worry about her eyes. Thank you again for all your help. Connie

Thank you for the update, Connie. I would very much like to hear more about her eyes once you find out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took Annie to the University of Florida Veterinary Hospital for an extensive exam. They gave her an MRI and discovered a large tumor between her eyes which caused her blindness. They did a biopsy (will get results next week to adjust pain pills). In the meantime they have her on a pain pill. They feel she has about two months left before she passes.

Oh my goodness. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. My condolences in advance.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian