Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We are in Colorado visiting family and roadtripped here from…

Customer Question
We are in Colorado...

We are in Colorado visiting family and roadtripped here from Texas. Our 1-yr old cockapoos eyes were fine when we stopped for the night in Amarillo, but I noticed the evening we settled into our cabin in Colorado that her eyes looked bloodshot. The next day her left eye was cloudy, has a bluish tint, seems swollen, and she has a hard time opening it. Looking up just the symptoms, it seems to have all the signs of glaucoma. I'm concerned because we're pretty far out of town and I'm not sure how to treat it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Her eye has been irritated before and our vet did several tests and everything turned out normal.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

While glaucoma is a consideration it would be unlikely in such a young dog. My primary concern is corneal damage - an ulcer, abrasion, or laceration - which has swollen the cornea giving it the bluish tint and causing your dog pain as evidenced by her blepherospasm (squinting). She needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience as eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

We're a few hours outside of the city and mother in law just went in like an hour ago, so we probably couldn't take her until tomorrow. Is there anything we could be doing in the meantime to help her? Her eye has made some improvement since yesterday. Then, she basically kept her eye closed, and today she's been keeping it open most of the time.

I understand. Yes, keep the eye moist by instilling artificial tears every couple of hours found in a local drug store. Don't instill drops containing a decongestant ("get the red out"). As for analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian