Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old toy poodle has been suffering from trachea…

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old toy poodle has been suffering from trachea collapse for a couple years and I woke up this morning to find her wheezing and not wanting to get out of bed. She also has failing eyesight and arthritis. I don't know when I need to start considering letting her go. How do I know when it's time to put her down?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

No. she's had an advancing cough for a couple years and her arthritis and blindness started about a year and a half ago but the arthritis has gotten more noticeable over the last few months

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

She does have a birth defect common in the breed that makes her spine severely arched. I don't know if that would make a difference

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. I am sorry to hear that Chloe is having problems. The parameters I look at when evaluating quality of life are interaction with the family, eating and drinking, activity level and bathroom habits. If they are sleeping all the time, don't interact with the family, stop eating and drinking well or start to urinate or defecate on themselves, it may be time to put them to sleep. They may not even follow all of those parameters. Other things to look for are just general disorientation, wandering around aimlessly, barking at nothing or chronic/increasing anxiety. If your vet hasn't tried her on any medications to help control the cough, I would definitely give that a chance. If her cough is affecting her daily activity, that is usually not a good sign as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm really concerned today because she usually slowly follows me around the house but this morning she didn't get off my bed to go eat breakfast. She also peed on the floor in my room overnight which is unusual for her. I let her out with my other dog just before midnight and she still had an accident.

Well, it is possible it may just be a bad day for her. I wouldn't judge quality of life on one day, but if it becomes a regular occurrence, then I would be concerned. It would be a good idea to have your vet run a urinalysis to make sure that accident isn't due to a urinary tract infection, especially if it happens again. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Hi Mackenzie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Chloe is doing and to see if you have any other questions.