Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our golden retriever started with a sudden limp, and

Hi Dr. Our...

Hi Dr. Our golden retriever started with a sudden limp, and difficulty getting from laying to standing. He will favor his back left leg but is still able to bear weight on it. This has happened before, and I still have some tramadol that was prescribed to him earlier this year when it happened. Would it be worthy to give that to him, watch him today and then see about taking him in tomorrow?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Golden Retriever. What is the Golden Retriever's name and age?

He's 6 years old, his name is Riley. Other behavior is fine, he will eat, go outside, etc., just has developed this limp.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

I don't think so - he just had a physical, all else is well, is within a good range for his weight. I suspect he has pulled or twisted something.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I am sorry to learn your dog is limping. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any swelling?

2- What was he doing when the lameness started?

There does not appear to be any swelling, and it seemed to start after he was laying down for a while. He had difficulty getting up, but did, then took a few steps with a limp, then it seemed to "straighten out" if that makes any sense - as if he walked it off.
This has happened to him before, he is a playful, goofy big dog that occasionally slips and slides on floors.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, it sounds like he may have a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. A very common injury to the hind limb in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). Less likely we also have to consider disorders of the hips and arthritis.

In response to your question, yes, starting him on Tramadol as prescribed by your vet and rest (no running or jumping) is reasonable. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash. If you don't see any improvement in 1-2 days then I would have him checked by your vet for an orthopedic examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. If you do see improvement rest him for the next 3-4 weeks.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Thanks Dr. Peter, I appreciate your time.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian