Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a broken leg that is in 5 pieces. it is in the…

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a broken leg that is in 5 pieces. it is in the femur. THe dog is a 4 month old german shepard. It is broken at a growth plate. They talked like amputation was the easier thing to do. I am paying to have it fixed. What I want to know is what caused it to break. Did he wonder into someones yard and they hit him. Did he get hit by a car... I dont understand

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Radar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Radar?

They said that the enzymes were elevated in his liver

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome! I am Dr. Christina, a licensed veterinarian, here to help answer your questions today. I see that you are inquiring about how your dogs leg broke. Are you available to talk about it?

I am glad you are here. I hope I can provide some clarity. Unless they saw some underlying abnormality to the bone on x-rays (which they would have told you if they did), then it has to be something traumatic.

The weakest point of the bone is at the growth plate - especially in a puppy, which means there only needs to be a small amount of trauma to cause it to break. Even into 5 pieces. Something like skipping stairs or even jumping off the couch.

Was he every outside unsupervised?

Sometimes they can even step in a gopher hole of divet in the ground which can cause them to shift their weight and it can break.

If he was hit by a car, you would notice other things like bruises or scabs from road rash. So I doubt that happened, but it's always possible.

German Shepherds are bred to grow very quickly and this can also lead to weaker bones than other breeds. So it's possible it was all just the perfect storm of events.

Are you still there? Can I answer anything else for you?