Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog can not poop. Lyndi she is 11 a Beagle. I dont think…

Customer Question
My dog can not...

My dog can not poop.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Lyndi she is 11 a Beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lyndi?

I dont think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she straining to defecate?

2- How long does she have without passing any stool?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Is she eating and drinking?

She is drinking a little. Straning a lot.During a little water. 2 days

How much does she weigh?

Friend, it sounds like your dog is constipated. The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to her food.

3- As a stool softener, you can give a 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have her checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter