Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is the treatment for luxating patella, I’m pretty sure…

Customer Question
What is the treatment...

What is the treatment for luxating patella, I’m pretty sure my dog has this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

All of a sudden he would help ad then lift his back leg, and not walk on it. Few minutes (30 min) he’s back to normal. This has happened three times now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, there’s no wound or prickle b

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Bear, about 9 years a Pomeranian

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bear😀

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear😀?

Not desexed very active.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How often does this happen?

How long has this been an issue?

It has just been happening in the last week. It seems to come right, and then you will see him lifting it again as he walks. This has happened about 3 times now. He doesn't seem to be in pain

It does sound like you're describing a luxating patella. For most dogs who only have occasional symptoms we usually do not do anything at all but monitor. The worst dogs, however, whose condition causes major problems in their life surgery can be performed. If your companion is not in pain and this only occasionally happens, your vet may simply want to see if symptoms progress. Since he is 9 and in his early senior years, a joint supplement such as http://www.glycoflex.com may help. It would also be worthwhile to schedule an examination at which point your vet may recommend x-rays to see what is happening below the skin with the knee. This should help them determine if any corrective approaches need to be taken.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse