Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just started licking her hole. I was told her ANAL…

Customer Question
My dog just started...

My dog just started licking her butt hole. I was told her ANAL sacks are full and can easily be drained. How can I dod this ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

I just told you above

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She does not seem hurt she is just constantly the last 1.5 day licking her butt hole alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

No sign of pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No. this just started. I thought maybe she in constipated I was going to give her PUMPKIN puree thinking that may help

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I will give you instructions on this, but I would recommend just allowing her to see your vet for an out-patient anal gland expression. This usually runs around $30 and saves not only time and effort but is done thoroughly and keeps the mess out of your hands (pun intended). It also eliminates the risk of harming the dog unintentionally.

Anal glands need to be checked every 6-8 weeks on most dogs. Be aware that she might also have impacted or abscessed glands which would require a different medical approach.

There are two ways to express glands, internally and externally. We typically recommend internal expression so that the person completing the service can ensure the glands are, in fact, empty. This involves taking a gloved and lubed finger, inserting it rectally and expressing the glands by pressing on each of them until they are fully drained. These are located at 4 and 8 if you were to look at the anus as though it's a clock. Whenever they express, which you can feel, anal gland material will express from the anus. It's a very smelly and dirty job. Wear clothing you can easily wash or discard. I recommend not standing directly behind the dog, as well.

Externally, they are compressed by steadying the tail and pressing on the glands from the outside of the anus at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. Again, the material will express toward the outside of the dog so don't stand behind her if it can be avoided. This method will express the glands when they're full and the material is liquidy. It will be hard to tell if a complete expression has been performed with this method.

Video on both methods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXpIYcWpkBo

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing? Were you successful at expressing the anal glands?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse