Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is orange chicken poison dog. Orange chicken from panda

Is orange chicken poison...

Is orange chicken poison dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes orange chicken from panda express

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

It was about 2.5 hours ago seems tonot be himself

12/22/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

There is nothing in orange chicken that is poisonous but it is fried and has fat so puts him at risk for pancreatitis. Likely he has an upset stomach from the ingestion. CLICK HERE for more information on pancreatitis in dogs and symptoms to be monitoring for​

Since this is likely GI upset please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the chicken pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal (wait until tomorrow) should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

ok thank you

You are very welcome

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dog to see how he is feeling after ingestion of the chicken yesterday? I look forward to an update

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

He is back to normal thank you

That's great news! Thanks so much for the update and happy to hear that it will be a "quiet" holiday for you both :)

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman