Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of our dogs has been bleeding from the nose for an hour.

Customer Question
Hello. One of our...

Hello. One of our foster dogs has been bleeding from the nose for an hour. It will coagulate in her nose and then start coming out of her mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

We live in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and she is a rescued African street dog. She is about nine months old and was spayed about three weeks ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with this dog. Such profound epistaxis (nose bleeding) at such an early age is most consistent with an anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning, a tick-borne infection such as ehrlichiosis, or, less commonly, idiopathic (immune-mediated) thrombocytopenia (a lack of blood platelets). I don't know what resources you have where you are but checking clotting times, testing for the tick-borne infections common there, and assessing the thrombocyte count are how the diagnosis is clarified. If this isn't possible, vitamin K dosed at 2 mg/kg by injection today and then orally daily thereafter - usually 2-4 weeks- is indicated for an anticoagulant rodenticide toxicity; doxycycline is prescribed at 10 mg/kg daily for 2-4 weeks for most tick-borne infections; and a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone is prescribed at 2 mg/kg daily for thrombocytopenia until the platelet count normalizes. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian