Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is panting and walking around, disorientated. On meds for…

Customer Question
He is panting and walking...
He is panting and walking around, disorientated. On meds for epilepsy for last 10 months no recurrence
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your elderly ECS. Aimless pacing and disorientation are hallmarks of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. My initial thought would be brain tumor at his age prompting prescription of the meds rather than adult onset epilepsy which does occur but less commonly than brain tumor. Regretfully, therapy at this time is limited to heavily sedating or anesthetizing him so he doesn't exhaust himself with this behavior. Increasing the dose of his current meds should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian