Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He’s coughing and now blind in both eyes. He can’t be

Customer Question
He’s coughing and...

He’s coughing and now blind in both eyes. He can’t be operated on because of his heart issues which The heart doctor can’t fix. He is coughing a lot more, and will only eat cat canned food, and seems to have early onset of Dementia. I have 2different eye drops , but they’re worried about the eye rupturing, but as I said he would die in surgery due to the brachial problems. I don’t want to let him go, but sometimes he will just seem as if he’s in pain...I got him two days after my husband passed, and I don’t want to be needy. He’s a good soul

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

They did an ekg, and first gave meds for blood pressure and infection, then something else...but didn’t help, so took himoff those, and he’s been good for 2 months, but now...he is showing signs of dementia and will only eat canned cat food...I figure that’s not going to kill him, but I don’t want him suffering, no matter how much I will? K, thanks...I have good vets here in Seattle, but I feel selfish?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is a tough situation that you're in.

To help with the coughing, I would make sure the heart disease is under control. Diuretics like Furosemide and Spironolactone are used to help pull fluid from the lungs and vasculature. I would also consider a cough suppressant like Hycodan or Codeine syrup if needed.

If the eyes are painful, I would argue that it should be treated. If they are 2 painful corneas and blind eyes, then I would remove the eyes. I understand the anesthetic concerns, but I'd rather risk a 1 hour procedure than have daily pain. Most of the time we are overly worried about anesthesia. It's quite rare to have a true anesthetic death. Sure we have to be more careful, but I would have no issues anesthetizing him to remove painful stimuli if needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, ***** ***** Renton eye clinic said they will not operate due to his cough, aka brac? Symptoms not under control and that he would die under anesthesia.

Ok. In that case you just manage the pain with drops and oral pain meds- Gabapentin, Meloxicam, Rimadyl.

You can also use Hycodan or Codeine for the cough and heart meds to control the heart disease.

Eventually if it's no longer able to be controlled and he is suffering, then I would consider euthanasia.

Thanks, ***** *****’t seem to want to give me. Rimadyly due to the heart...I guess I just want to ensure he is not in pain...I’ve an appt for Saturday but frustrated with vets not telling me if he’s suffering...thanks. Got to go to sleep now
Ask about Gabapentin. It’s a very safe and effective pain med.
Will do, thanks
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian