Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the proper dosage of prednisone for a 80 lb labrador…

Customer Question
What is the proper dosage...
What is the proper dosage of prednisone for a 80 lb labrador with a hip problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

Typically, an 80 pound dog would receive approximately 20mg of Prednisone daily, for anti inflammatory purposes.

However, for joint problems, typically prednisone isn't the best option, and a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Rimadyl or Meloxicam would be more effective with fewer side effects.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dundee. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian