Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is walking slowly up stairs and will not jump up on

Customer Question
She is walking slowly...

She is walking slowly up stairs and will not jump up on furniture to sit with us, as usual. She started out a few days ago with diarreah, which went away. She's not limping or anything, just won't climb easily.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Yorkshire terrier, 5 years old, 9 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, I don't see anything and she is not licking them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Yorkshire Terrier's name?

Nikki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nikki?

Drinking less than usual

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

While this necessarily must be conjecture because I can't examine Nikki hands-on, degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be an important differential diagnosis in such a miniature dog o her age. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in Nikki's back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Nikki's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about her spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), Nikki would need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(I don't believe that her diarrhea is related to her current behavior.)

Would that have caused diarreah in the beginning? This is day 6

No, in fact, constipation is more likely in these dogs due to avoidance of pain while posturing to defecate. Please continue our conversation if you wish.