Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is having some digestive issues, darting around, can't…

Customer Question
Hey! He is...

Hey! He is having some digestive issues, darting around, can't seem to get comfortable, and waking me up at night to go out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Tail down, when walking, laying in weird po

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Max is 5. He is a rescue. Mix of yorkie, shitzu, and maltese.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

He did chew up a plastic ornament from the tree. Don't think he ate any, just destroyed it...but guess it's a possibility

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What is he doing when he has to go outside at night?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How is his appetite?

Some diarrhea, no vomiting, appetite down, but eating some. Not interested in drinking water, but will eat ice cubes out of my hand...trying to keep him hydrated. I listened to his bowel sounds (I am a paramedic in PA school) and they are hyperactive. Gave him Half a dose of childrens pepto-bismol and he is resting
I guess my main question is how will I know if it is serious enough to take him in?

Thanks for the information. If he is having diarrhea and acting like he cannot hold it or has to defecate all of a sudden, he most likely has some inflammation in his colon (colitis). It is a common issue in dogs and is usually due to something they ate. You may even see some blood or mucus in the stool. Intestinal parasites, stress, IBS, masses in the colon and liver/pancreatic issues are other potential causes. Usually if they are eating and not vomiting, it is not considered a serious situation. Pepto Bismol is usually safe, unless there is blood in the stool. I usually try to increase the fiber in the diet with Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin. Often this type of diarrhea is fiber responsive. If the diarrhea goes on longer than 48 hours, there is a lot of blood in the stool, he has vomited multiple times, he seems in distress or painful/uncomfortable or he hasn't eaten in 24 hours; that is when I would recommend getting him into the vet to be evaluated. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Max is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian