Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She fell forward going down a step going outside. She has…

Customer Question
She fell forward going...

She fell forward going down a step going outside. She has been limping for three days. Would an ace wrap give her support?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, no wound. She is 14 yrs. and has arthritis, I give her

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Maggie is on Meloicam, Atrhroplex, and Gabapentin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

She is a Sheltie about 21 lbs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Usually an Ace bandage is not going to do much. The problem is that you do no know exactly where she is painful. It could be any joint from the wrist to the shoulder. It could be a muscle or ligament tear. It could be a fracture of a small bone in the wrist or elbow as well. Unless you can isolate the exact source of pain, an Ace bandage would serve no purpose. Even then, and Ace bandage wouldn't provide that much support and would only be helpful if there was swelling. If there are certain fractures or ligament tears, sometimes a splint, brace or a ***** ***** bandage (thick bandage for temporary support of a fracture) can help. In general, if the limping is not improving on the medications or strict rest in 3-5 days or is not resolved in 7-10 days, an orthopedic exam by a vet is necessary to locate the source of the injury and potentially get an x-ray. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Maggie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian