Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a male miniature dachshund (8 years old) that is

Customer Question
I have a male...

I have a male miniature dachshund (8 years old) that is experiencing constipation every now and then. I gave him the canned pumpkin (1 teaspoon) and that seems to help, but this constipation is occurring every 3 months and lasts for 2 days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Snickers

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that I can think of. When the constipation occurs he just gets sluggish and wants to lay near me or in his kennel.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome! I am Dr. Christina, a licensed veterinarian, here to help answer your questions today. I see that you are inquiring about Snickers' constipation, is that correct?

I am so glad you are here so we can come up with some solutions for your pet. Can I ask how much pumpkin Snickers gets and what kind of food he eats?

He gets one teaspoon about every two days and this is not every time. I may do this one month then skip a month. His food he eats is IAMS for small dogs (1/2 cup) and 1/2 Caeser food tray (type varies each day). He only is fed once a day to maintain a good weight.

There are a couple of things you can do.

1. The pumpkin is essentially fiber. This helps the colon to contract so that it can move stool along. If he is getting constipated this frequently, I would bump that up to 1 teaspoon once EVERY day. This will help to keep things moving and hopefully prevent constipation.

2. The other thing you can do if he is still getting constipated with the increased frequency of pumpkin is add in miralax. You can purchase this over the counter. It is a still softener, but is very mild. It should not cause him to have diarrhea or any cramping associated with it. I would give him 1/2 teaspoon once a day. This will help to keep the stools on the softer side so it's easier from him to get out.

3. If the above 2 do not work, then there are prescription diets that you can try to help out. Sometimes constipation is just the first sign of an underlying food allergy.

Are you still there?

If you need anything else, just respond to this post. I am here to help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! Happy holidays!

I will try the suggestions. He has an appointment with his vet in March so we may follow up with her if it continues.

That's a great idea. Hopefully the pumpkin and miralax will help him. It is safe for him to be on those long term as well.

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian