Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had bloody stool late this afternoon. Look jello

Customer Question
like, mucus. And has threw...
My dog had bloody stool late this afternoon. Look jello like, mucus. And has threw up once 2 hrs later. What should I do
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and I'd like to help you today.

Based on Rocky's signs, our main concern would be a colitis (bacterial or inflammatory). This often will appear as mucusy bloody stool as you have reported and the GI inflammation often will cause nausea leading to vomiting. Of course, other concerns that can appear similarly are viral or bacterial gut infections, pancreatitis (less likely), parasite/protozoa infections and ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely at his age).

With this in mind, our first step would be to soothe Rocky's nausea. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (otherwise we’d want to rest the stomach for a few hours), you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/ diarrhea. And as we cannot use anti-diarrheals in bloody stool situations (some hemorrhagic viruses/bacterial infections can worsen if we allow the agent longer in the gut), we can at least start fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) added to these meals to firm stools and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns for us. Therefore, we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for him. Though if he doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him, check a stool sample, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with antibiotics, fluids +/- anti-diarrheals (if they can exclude those hemorrhagic agents on fecal exam) to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian