Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Black spot on nose of Golden is growing and raised. Tye and…

Black spot on nose...

Black spot on nose of Golden is growing and raised.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Golden's name and age?

Tye and 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tye?

Went to groomers last week.

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has it been present?

Is it firm or fluidy? Sore to the touch?

Just as there are a number of concerns for a nasal lump, can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Good evening,

Now it is difficult to assess this given its coloration but with it having only been present for a week, I'd lean away from pigmented tumors or growths (ie melanomas) since those do not tend to come up this quick and grow so suddenly and would be more suspicious of a soft tissue swelling, bacterial induced abscess/infection and to a lesser extent (it tends to be regional) fungal infection.

Now given that it is actively growing and we do have little room to spare in this region if this does need to be removed, I do feel its best to be proactive here for Tye. Ideally we'd want to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then inflammation/trauma was most likely and pain relief/ anti-inflammatories can be used to settle the swelling. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment or if we can give this time to settle for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian