Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am just transitioning him to a new dog food. He threw up…

Customer Question
I am just transitioning...

I am just transitioning him to a new dog food. He threw up and is panting. What can I do to comfort him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Yes, new dog food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

He is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rover

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rover?

He is 12 in March, very restless and has high cholesterol, the reason for changing his food.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Rover!

If the new diet has not agreed with him, then we will need to give him a break from this. If he is still nauseous and unsettled, we can start him on an OTC antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and can be given every 12 hours. Of course, double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If he settles with that, we're happy and can either try his old diet or even a bland one for a few days. Examples of a light diet option are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. If we do try to reintroduce the new diet in a few days, make sure to do it slowly (changing it a quarter at a time from old/bland to new) to give his gut time to adjust. Of course, if we were to use the above but his signs remain or he has any belly pain (a possible pancreatitis, foreign body, bloat concern, etc), then we'd want him seen urgently. But for the moment we can just see if an antacid can get him more comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian