Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My russel ate one onion ring that fell I tried wrestleing it…

Customer Question
Hey, my jack russel...

Hey, my jack russel ate one onion ring that fell I tried wrestleing it out of his mouth but he grabbed the majority of the ring. Should I rush to get Hydrogen Peroxide from the store or? ...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your jack will be able to digest that. What is the jack's name and age?

Fox, he’s about 4

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I would not worry in the slightest about the small amount of onion in one onion ring, this will be very unlikely to have affected Fox at all, he should be just fine. You see the situation is that while it is true that onions can be toxic to dogs due thiosulphate poisoning I am glad to say that it actually takes quite a lot of onions to be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog. { Which is quite a small dog }

2. Given the above, there are no special precautions you need take. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Fox's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Fox is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the onion ring issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian