Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 10lb maltipoo ate chocolate laxative. 5 pieces What can…

Customer Question
Our 10lb maltipoo ate...

Our 10lb maltipoo ate chocolate laxative. 5 pieces What can we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Princess. She is 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?

We tried the hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting but she hasn't. It has been about 30 minutes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long ago were the laxatives consumed?

Did she vomit from the peroxide since your last post?

She never vomited. She consumed it 5 hours ago

If the bottle of hydrogen peroxide had been opened for a while, this may be why she did not vomit. If she's prone to eating things, keeping a fresh, unopened bottle on the shelf would be worthwhile. For now, we will address this as though she won't vomit as she should have vomited no more than 2 hours following the ingestion. Anytime after that and the medication is likely to be through the stomach and into the intestines.

The good news is that the cocoa in laxatives are unlikely to cause a chocolate toxicity. However, the active ingredient in the laxative is likely to cause severe diarrhea and may also cause other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, painful cramps in the abdomen, blood in the stool, protruding tissue from the anal area, etc.

Keep a close eye on her for GI symptoms over the next 12-24 hours. The diarrhea may last as long as 36-48 hours. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better if you see GI symptoms. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. You can address mild diarrhea at home, as well as nausea and vomiting. That said, if you see blood, protruding tissue, cramping, etc. she needs to see a vet. She has taken a LOT of medication for such a small dog.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Princess doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse