Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Tummy is bigger than usual yet soft. She was quieter and…

Customer Question
Tummy is bigger than...

Tummy is bigger than usual yet soft

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She was quieter and more ssfintary today. She is 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She had 1 loose poo

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Does not seem to be in pain at s

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Has been low thyroid for about 2 years ... not on meds

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any coughing?

Any changes in her urinary output or thirst?

No changes in environment...
no change in food
No coughing
1 loose stool followed by
No diarrhea but softer than usual
Good eating and drinking ...
just more sedintary and less interested in activities of household

I can give you some steps to take at home to help firm the stool. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. Be on the look out for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool, etc. These symptoms will all indicate the need for an examination, diagnostics and treatment.

The best approach for firming loose or soft stool is a high fiber, bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Since she self initiated a good walk tonight... she pooped twice and stomach seems a bit smaller and not at right ...

That's good news. If the stool remains abnormal, I would still following the directions above to help the stool firm.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse