Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is licking and biting his front foot. I can see some…

Customer Question
My dog is licking and...
My dog is licking and biting his front foot. I can see some evidence of blood between his pads. He isn't limping. Does he need the vet?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of where he's chewing?

How long has this been a concern?

Is he wearing an e-collar at this time to prevent licking?

I think its is better today. I don't see swelling or blood. I slathered it with antibiotic ointment last night and maybe will continue that treatment(?). He is on his favorite couch and seems O.K.
We're big walkers. Maybe lay off on that for a while.(?) He's an Australian Ridgeback Hound
and a very good dog. We have a vet. Glad you are here. Is Betagen any good?
I'll go with the $14.00 text. I would call the vet today if he were not better. O.K.?

Betagen typically helps if this is an allergy or itching is occurring. If this is due to a wound, however, betagen may not be the ideal product to be used. You've likely gone the right route with the antibiotic ointment, but this may cause health problems if he licks it. If he's not already wearing an e-collar, I would put him in one. This will also allow the wound to heal and keep him from dealing healthy tissue from growing. You can make one using these direction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago

Checking in. How is Beau doing today?

Hi Charles Wilson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy