Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is crying when he walks, moving very slowly, no limping…

Customer Question
He is crying when...

He is crying when he walks, moving very slowly, no limping that I can notice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

6-7 Bichon frise mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes my dog sorry

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Bichon's name and age?

Kerbie, 6-7 yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kerbie?

Rescued exact age uncertain

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long has this been going on?

2. So the problem only occurs when he walks, otherwise, he seems happy and is eating and drinking OK?

Started yesterday, has worsened now. He ate food this afternoon. He will not move from under the table now. I took him out to pee he just stood there would not go
He did have a BM earlier today
Not his normal happy self at all

Got it, working on your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Where a dog is in discomfort while moving and is not limping on any particular leg then the cause is often back or neck pain, this is not uncommon in the dog. Your best plan is to have Kerbie checked over by your local vet at the first opportunity as prescription painkiller/anti-inflammatory drugs often greatly help. Many of these back problems are not so serious as in the same situation as the person and will respond to rest plus pain relief, however, a few are due to some degree of a slipped disk and this can be very serious indeed, this is another reason to have him checked quickly, as is the fact that other diagnoses are possible.

2. In the meantime, until you can get him to a vet keep him as still as possible. If this is, in fact, a back or neck problem then on a home remedy basis until you can get to a vet as far as pain relief goes you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Kerbie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you. I will get him to the vet in the morning. Is there anything u can do to get him to urinate?
Anything I can do?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well if you are going to the vet tomorrow this issue is not so pressing but in the meantime, all you can do is to very gently carry him outside to his usual place for urinating.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Kerbie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his discomfort on walking issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you for following up. His pain is stemming from the lower spine vertabrae and he is resting now and on prescribed medication.

Thanks for the update, I hope he starts to improve soon ...

Regards,

Dr Scott