Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate half of a fruit filled dark chocolate bar.

Hi my dog just...

Hi my dog just ate half of a fruit filled dark chocolate bar. roughly 1 oz. she is an 8 lb. malshi, should I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No, nothing else

12/21/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How many ounces of the chocolate bar was swallowed?

2. Were there raisins in the chocolate bar?

Hi - thank you for your response. it was an entenmanns dark chocolate raspberry burst candy bar. He ate roughly 1 oz. of it. No raisins and of the 1 oz, probably 1/3 was the fruit filling

Got it, working on your answer now ...

hi just checking in, any answer?

Just working out the toxicity and typing up your answer now, you will have it very soon ...

Hello again,

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 8 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 2.4 ozs of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of dark chocolate involved today is well below any toxic level and raspberries are not toxic to dogs, so the chances are that this will not affect her.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

thank you!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian