Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is an 8 year old Maltese. This is the 3rd time she…

Customer Question
My dog is an...

My dog is an 8 year old Maltese. This is the 3rd time she has displayed symptoms of falling over or stumbling in the past 2 years. October 2016 I took her to the vet for falling over, lethargy and loss of appetite. The vet ran blood tests and gave her a steroid and antibiotics (no answer why she got sick, just an infection of some sort). The only anomaly was blood test said high white blood cell count and hyperglycemia (yes, hyper not hypo). August 2017 she started displaying same symptoms and she had blood in her urine. Back to the vet. Blood test again and urine test. Bladder infection and unknown illness her white count was 101. Vet couldn't t give me any other explanation for illness. another round of steroids and 2 plus rounds of antibiotics (this time took longer to notice her feeling better). December 19th yesterday my dog appeared to stumble again (balance issue) not lethargic or loss of appetite but you can tell she is beginning to look ill again. I took her to the vet again today for ANOTHER blood test and urine test. The vet seems unsure whats wrong with her. I am frustrated and concerned for her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Lethargy is a delayed symptom. First signs of illness seems to be the drunk walk.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of all of her most recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian