Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a very fit 10 yr old English bully. last night I

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a very fit 10 yr old English bully. last night I noticed a spot of blood on his back, right on the spine so I leaned in and discovered it was a bump about the size of a quarter. The bump has little black scab looking things on it but its not really a scab. I gave it a gentle squeeze and his whole body contracted.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not at this time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Is he scratching at it all?

Would you be able to take a picture of the bump so i can see what we are dealing with?

hes not scratching but I guess it'd be hard to get to in the area its in. I think I can send you a pic, have to figure out how to send it from this laptop. can I text you one?

It could be a ruptured or infected cyst or a bite from an insect like a spider.

I can send you my email. ***@******.***

Make sure to get good lighting so i can get a good look

thanks. Ill send it asap

I'll keep an eye on my email for it.

hi, its sent. it'll be from***@******.***

OK just got it downloading

OK, that looks like it may be an infected cyst or a little skin tumor. Given his response to your manipulation of the growth, it is most likely infected. Let's do some moist heat therapy for tonight a few times 5-7 minutes at a time and see if we can get it to a head and allow it to express on its own if it is a cyst. Then apply Neosporin on it tonight before bed and if it is not better tomorrow we may need to get it checked out and make sure if it is infected we get him on antibiotics and some anti-inflammatory medications. If it is not a cyst your veterinarian may need to do a small needle biopsy ( fine needs aspirate) and put the cells on a slide and see what it is.

understood. Im in prenatal genetics myself so biopsys aren't a stranger to me : (
Thank you and enjoy your night

You are most welcome let me know how it goes

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.