Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab 115 lb just ate 1 30mg fluoxetine capsules.

Customer Question
My lab 115 lb...

My lab 115 lb just ate 1 30mg fluoxetine capsules

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Duloxetine

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Duloxetine?

New

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

It is very much in your favour that you have a larger dog, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, this should not affect your dog too much. This drug is often prescribed for dogs, and a regular dose rate for fluoxetine { Proxac } in the dog is in a range between 0.5 to 1 mg per pound (1 to 2 mg/kg) given every 24 hours, orally. In your case, this works out as a top dose of 115 mg., so really 30 mg is not going to have much effect, perhaps some slight lethargy for a few hours, but that's about it.

2. You can verify the accuracy of my advice and read more on how this drug is used in dogs via this link: LINK

3. Given the above, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the fluoxetine issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian