Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We came home and our dogs had knocked over a bag of sugar.

Customer Question
We came home and...

We came home and our dogs had knocked over a bag of sugar. They didn't eat it all but now one is acting strange. Just committed but is eating and drinking like normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Jet, beagle mix 6 years old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Did you mean that Jet Vomited, but is now eating and drinking?

With this type of ingestion, we may just see self-limiting gastrointestinal symptoms. ie. vomiting 1-2 times and maybe some diarrhea in a few hours.

The only serious side effects we need to watch for are those indicating the pancreas has become inflamed. Intractable vomiting and diarrhea, lethargy and abdominal pain, but this is only the worse case and the chances of it occurring are low.

If he is eating and drinking we can give him a dose of Pepsid 0.5 mg/pound ( every 12 hours) or Prilosec at 0.5mg/pound (every 24 hours) just pick one antacid to use.

I would also recommend no treats and to feed a bland diet for the next 24 hours ( boiled chicken and rice, canned chicken etc)

Good luck with Jet.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian