Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 17 year old cocker spaniel ate a large bag of m&m. She…

Customer Question
My 17 year old...

My 17 year old cocker spaniel ate a large bag of m&m. She has thrown up twice. Now she is panting and pacing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Cocker Spaniel will be able to digest that. What is the Cocker Spaniel's name?

Bubbles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bubbles?

She just had a check up and blood work and other than being deaf and cataracts her get said she was extremely healthy

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?

mam
Please text, my phone service stinks
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that my colleague opted out of help you but wanted to touch base with you.

Now if Bubbles is showing signs of chocolate toxicity we do need to tread with care. The GI signs can be seen with low toxicity levels but if we were to see any tremors, seizures, elevated heart rate or if her breathing doesn't settle as we try to address her GI upset (to follow), then we'd want her to her vet urgently for fluids and supportive care to get this out of her system as quick as we can.

Otherwise, for the moment, if she has nausea and vomiting, we'd want to try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). And we'd hope if we can get her settled with these, we can monitor for the next 24-48 hours and then be out of the woods. Though if you were to see any worsening or those other signs I mentioned then we'd need Bubbles seen urgently.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian