Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is having accidents in the house when usually he

Customer Question
Hi. My dog is...

Hi. My dog is having accidents in the house when usually he never pees in the house. He has also lost weight. He has a great appetite and he is not lethargic. He has a lot of energy. What could be happening with him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

He is not lethargic though

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

His name is ***** ***** he is 4 years old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear that your dog Rex is having these accidents. There are a handful of causes of urinary accidents as you describe:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones or crystals that traumatize the bladder causing pain and urgency to urinate
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet but cannot be ruled out in a younger dog
4.) Behavioral causes, either stress related or a behavioral change that requires a different approach
5.) Kidney changes, even in a dog that is otherwise not showing any changes in behavior or personality

First and foremost we need to rule out the first two. Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help rule out infection versus stones/ crystals

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the accidents in the house. If medical causes are ruled out then behavioral modification maybe warranted but I would definitely rule out medical causes first and foremost

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

With him losing weight all of a sudden and being able to feel his spine while he lays down... is there any other problem I should worry about?

The kidney changes would be my first concern, it also can be liver related but less likely. Urine has a tendency to have a brown tinge if this is the case.

Sometimes accidents in the house can be an indicator of general malaise. Not able to make the effort to get outside but since he is otherwise acting normal this is not likely. I would much rather treat him and diagnose him now while he isn't ill versus later if things progress and maybe more difficult to get on top of

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly